Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Alaska Highway - ALCAN


The New Alaska Highway. View as you approach Haynes Junction.

When it was first constructed in 1942, the Alaska Highway (once known as the Alcan) was a slow, gravel road, intended for military convoys and supply trucks. Roadhouses and service stations were few and far between. The Alaska Highway was finally opened to the public in 1948. When the highway was originally built it was about 1,700 miles long. It took an army of workers about 7 months to complete the construction. Due to re-construction and straightening of the road, the Alaska Highway now covers a distance of 1,387 miles. 

Old truck left abandoned on the side of the old Alaska Highway road. This section is mainly gravel.
 Back in those days,  travelers needed to carry extra gas cans, two or more spare tires, and survival gear. Various screens and panels were used to protect headlights and windshields from destruction by flying gravel thrown up by passing trucks. Personal vehicles ready for an Alaska journey often resembled a cross between an armored personnel carrier and the Beverly Hillbillies’ truck.

Section of the old roadbed.
 Today, the primary route to Alaska is all but completely paved. Nowhere will you have to go more than a hundred miles between fueling points. On many segments, tight curves have been smoothed, straightened and lanes have been widened. Today there is plenty of  traffic on this road with good-hearted people that your chances of getting stranded are slim. I stopped along the side of the road to change lenses on my camera and immediately someone stopped and asked if I was OK. For a long time, the Alaska Highway was the only driving route to Alaska. Today it is possible to drive to Anchorage almost completely via alternate and equally wonderful routes, all of which offer plenty of scenic beauty and long miles.

With all the improvements on this road and services along the way, the drive to Alaska should not be taken lightly. The miles are long and are still quite empty. The Milepost Magazine suggests carrying two spare tires (or at least a can of a fix-a-flat product) and a 5-gallon gas can. A wondering moose can still walk onto the road and end your trip really quick. One the biggest consideration is the amount of time it takes to reach Anchorage. About four long days from Seattle is the norm, or 10 days for me from the East coast. If you plan to drive round trip, you’ll want to allot at least three to four weeks for the entire journey.

Old roadbed. Notice trees and shrubs growing on the roadway.
  On my way up to Anchorage I had to do some exploring of my own along this highway. As I drove the Alaska Highway today, I saw the old road alongside the new road on my way to Haynes Junction. After careful observation, I noticed that the old roadbed crossed the new highway along many sections numerous times. This prompted me to get out and explore. I drove off the side of the road and met up with the old highway. I was not completely sure whether the road was OK to drive on but I continued on. I was amazed at what I found. The old road was overgrown with trees and in many places along the road the forest had encroached onto the road so much that the path was just wide enough for my vehicle to get through. I drove about 5 miles on the old highway and even found an old vehicle left abandoned from the old days. My mind keep thinking what is was like driving the ALCAN back then.

The old forgotten road.
I would like to offer a word of warning here. This road is very rough, way off the beaten path and away from the main road system, so if you venture out here do so with with extreme caution. Know your vehicle and its limitations. A high clearance vehicle is recommended. If you encounter an issue out here  you could be in serious trouble. In many places the road was completely eroded and  badly washed out. My 2 wheel drive van managed to traverse this 5 mile section without a problem. For me, I was glad I made the choice to venture out and explore this old road as part of my adventure to Alaska!

The video below is a short clip of what it was like driving the original Alaska highway.





No comments:

Post a Comment